An Expert’s Guide to Using JaxCore on Windows
Microsoft includes additional customization options in every Windows version. But that’s not enough for you if you’re a customization enthusiast. Don’t you get tired of staring at the same dull Windows look? Changing the default Windows theme might make things more interesting, but only for a short time.
Where Windows becomes limited in terms of customization, 3rd party apps such as JaxCore help you redesign the look of Windows. Here, we have discussed how to customize your desktop with JaxCore like a pro.
How to Download and Instal JaxCore on Windows
JaxCore is a unique Rainmeter skin for changing the look and feel of Windows. With JaxCore, there is nothing you can’t customize and make your desktop something you’re proud to show off.
Here’s how to download and install JaxCore on Windows 10 and 11:
- Visit JaxCore’s website and download the batch script file. If your antivirus software is blocking the installation, copy and paste the below-given command into the PowerShell:
iwr -useb "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Jax-Core/JaxCore/master/CoreInstaller.ps1" | iex
- Once the command installs JaxCore, it’ll show you the Get Started popup. If you have a computer with low specifications, select Game Mode and Performance Mode and move forward.
- Follow all the instructions until you get a popup for the Core Batch Installer. If you’re a newbie, click I’ll get ’em later. Those who know about JaxCore modules can select the modules/widgets and install them all at once.
It may be difficult for you to find JaxCore after a restart. To solve this, navigate to its Settings page. Click Desktop or Program list, next to Add shortcut to desktop. In this way, you can access JaxCore anytime you want instead of using the hard way.
How to Install a Module With JaxCore
JaxCore offers eight modules that replace certain parts of the Windows UI. You can use JaxCore modules to replace the existing Windows elements with more customizable ones.
For example, the IdleStyle module replaces the default Windows screen saver, the ValliStart module replaces the start menu, and so on. For ValliStart, check out how to customize the Start menu using JaxCore for an in-depth guide.
Once you’ve successfully installed the JaxCore skin for Rainmeter, you can install any module by following the given steps:
- Launch JaxCore by double-clicking the desktop shortcut.
- On the JaxCore Discover/Home screen, click on a module you want to install. We’ll show you how to install the IdleStyle module, for example.
- Click the download icon and then, Yes, walk me through the setup for onboarding instructions.
- Read the on-screen instructions and follow them accordingly.
That’s all you have to do. The module will then install automatically; further, you can customize it from the module settings.
Note that some modules require installing additional files from the Internet to operate correctly. So, if the module you just installed is not working as expected, you may have missed installing or configuring the additional settings. In that case, you can refer to the JaxCore documentation website for help.
Modules and widgets are pretty different from each other. Widgets are exclusively for your desktop, while modules are for specific Windows elements. Some basic Windows widgets include calendars, alarm clocks, and time and weather widgets.
JaxCore offers you four different widget skins that work with Rainmeter. All the widgets come packed with various customizability options and a modern layout for you to change them to your liking. The one we’re going to install for this guide is the ModularClocks widget.
The installation steps are nearly similar to those for installing a module. You need to select the widget and click the Download icon. JaxCore will walk you through the installation steps and help you set it up on your desktop. As you’re interacting with a widget now, you can right-click on it (on your desktop) to customize it per your needs.
Widgets are draggable, so you can hold the left-click button on a widget and drag it wherever you want on your desktop. The best thing we liked is that you can right-click on a widget and then click Align to change the alignment to seven different locations.
If you like a widget and want to duplicate it, navigate to JaxCore Home > Library > Widget and click Make clone to copy your widget.
The scope of customization is quite vast in JaxCore. While we can’t showcase every setting in this tutorial, we’ll try to cover the most common and useful aspects here.
The following are some common names you may come across while customizing a module in JaxCore:
- General: This section allows you to define a hotkey for activating an applied module. For example, in the IdleStyle module, you can specify a key that’ll launch/activate/pause this module from the General section.
- Position: Say you’re using the ValliStart module and want the Start menu to pop up from the center of your desktop. You can do so by using the Position options. This section allows you to set the position or alignment of modules and widgets.
- Animation: As the name suggests, you can change the default animations from this section.
- Layout: JaxCore offers different layouts or designs for all its modules and widgets. You can configure the design as per your liking from the Layout section.
- Appearance: From here, you can customize the default colors of modules, blur settings, font options, and more.
If you misconfigure a module or widget, you can either uninstall it or clear the module data from the Information screen.
There are a wide variety of other options in JaxCore. So, you can figure them out yourself and make the module look way better than its default state. Also, it’s always a good idea to consider the JaxCore documentation for help and some other valuable resources.
JaxCore is more than just a Rainmeter skin; it offers a combination of fancy skins that altogether make your desktop unique. Everything works so well together, from the module aesthetics, to the widgets, the customization options, and everything else.
But because there are so many options and settings, it might confuse a beginner. So, if you’ve made up your mind to uninstall any module or widget, here’s how to do it:
- Open JaxCore Home and click on Library.
- Click the Module/Widget you wish to uninstall. In our case, we’re going to remove the Volume Mixer module.
- On the Info screen, click the Uninstall button.
- Now, select a reason for uninstallation and click Proceed uninstallation.
- That’s it. Make sure you restart Rainmeter once to avoid any errors.
Just like this, you can uninstall a widget as well, as the steps are nearly similar. Also, restart your computer if you run into problems, like JaxCore closing itself after uninstalling a module. Then, click the JaxCore shortcut you’ve added to your desktop to relaunch it again.
If you’re finding it hard to master JaxCore, check out some other tools to tweak and customize Windows.
Personalize Your Windows Better With JaxCore
No doubt, JaxCore’s pre-built modules and widgets satisfy a wide range of customization requirements. You can modify everything from the colors to the default fonts in the module’s settings.
In addition to JaxCore, several other programs allow you to customize your Windows desktop fully. So, what are you waiting for? You can find these kinds of Windows customization tools on the Internet and personalize your Windows experience in no time.