When you’re going to have to sift through dozens of text messages every day, it can be pretty time-consuming. It’d much easier if you could sort them using categories or labels.
If you’re using a Samsung Galaxy device, it’s easy to organize your texts by using conversation categories. Let’s take a look at how you can set up and use the feature.
What Are Conversation Categories in Samsung Messages?
Are you tired of scrolling through your messages inbox to find a specific text? Or maybe you’re looking for a way to categorize your conversations so that they’re easier to find? Either way, we’ve got the answer—conversation categories.
With Samsung Messages, you can set up custom categories that can be used to sort or filter conversations by topic, keywords, or in any other way that makes sense to you.
While this feature isn’t enabled by default, you can activate it at any time by following the steps mentioned in the sections below. Not only does the feature give you more control over your messages, but it also makes it easier to find specific texts when you need them.
However, the app does not filter conversations automatically into message categories, so you’ll need to add each conversation manually.
Create Conversation Categories Based on Keywords or Preferences
Conversation categories make it easy to locate and organize your messages. For instance, you can create a conversation category based on important keywords such as “transactions” or “shopping”, and add relevant conversations to them, so you can access them easily. Here’s how to do so:
- Launch the Samsung Messages app and tap the three-dot icon on the right. In the drop-down menu, select Settings.
- Next, toggle on the slider button for Conversation categories.
- To create a category, tap Conversation categories > Add category, and tap Done. Go back to the app’s home screen to view the newly added tab/label.
- To rename a category, tap Conversation categories. Select the desired category, and choose Rename in the bottom menu.
- You can now add categories directly from the home screen by tapping the + icon next to a previously added category. Simply enter a name for your new category, and tap Done.
Add or Remove Conversations
If you wish to add or remove a conversation from a category, here’s what you need to do:
- In the Samsung Messages app, tap the category name.
- Tap on Add conversations. You’ll see a list of all of your current conversations. Select the ones you wish to add.
- Tap Done to save your changes.
- To remove a conversation from a category, go to Settings and tap on a category.
- You can see a list of conversations you’ve added earlier. To remove, tap on the red minus symbol next to each conversation.
Re-order Conversations Based on Priority
When organizing your messages, it can be helpful to change the order of texts (according to their priority), rather than sticking to the default chronological order. Here’s how to set it up:
- In the Samsung Messages app, tap on the three-dot icon and select Edit categories from the dropdown options.
- Toggle on the slider button for Conversation categories. Tap Edit in the top-right corner.
- To reorder category positions, tap and drag the two-arrow icon (on the right side) to the desired position. Once done, go back to the Messages screen to view the reordered tabs and categories.
Conversation categories make it much easier to find your text messages and chats. You can organize your emails in a similar way.
Pin Your Most Important Messages
If you’re looking for a way to sort through conversations quickly, you can always pin them on the very top, or mark your favorite messages for easy reference.
Samsung Messages allows you to pin conversations like you can in Google Messages and move them to the top of your list. To do this, simply tap and hold a conversation thread. Select More (the three-dot icon) in the bottom menu, and tap Pin to top.
How to Turn Off Conversation Categories
You can disable conversation categories by toggling off the feature from the Samsung Messages app. Doing so will only hide the message categories from the home screen. To do this, follow the steps listed below:
- Tap on the three-dot icon on the home screen of the Samsung Messages app.
- Select Settings.
- Toggle off the slider button for Conversation categories.
If you wish to delete the Conversation categories permanently, here’s what you need to do:
- On your device, open the Samsung Messages app’s home screen and tap the three-dot menu.
- From the dropdown menu, select Settings.
- Tap on the Conversation categories > Edit.
- Select and long-press on the category name you wish to delete.
- Once the blue checkmark appears, tap Delete All in the bottom menu to remove the category altogether.
View Your Messages at a Glance
Have you ever felt like you have so many texts that you can’t find the one you want? After all, letting your messages pile up over time can be a hassle. You tend to miss out on important information—it’s difficult to go back and look at something you might have skipped in the past.
With Samsung Messages, you get to choose how you want to see your messages, either in chronological order or sorted by category. We hope this guide helps you sort your conversations however you choose and access them quickly for a seamless experience.