New to using a password manager? Here’s how you can create passwords using KeePass, by either generating your own or using suggested ones.
KeePass is an offline password manager that uses a locally stored database or .kdbx file to store your passwords. You can use this file on any device that has KeePass installed, as long as you know the master password.
KeePass is free to use and offers many features such as password generation, grouping, and viewing the password quality in bits. It also offers many shortcuts to directly copy the username or password fields. You can make use of the autofill feature, which allows you to autofill the username and password fields for a login page.
So how can you generate passwords using KeePass? What are the benefits of grouping login credentials? And how can you do that?
How to Create Password Entries in KeePass
It’s easy to create a new password entry in KeePass, either using one generated by the service or making you own.
- Right-click anywhere inside the right panel of the KeePass window.
- Click on Add Entry.
- Enter the details of the entry, including your username and password. You can also give it a name for later reference.
- KeePass will automatically generate a password for you, inside the “password” field. You can click on the three dots button to reveal what the password looks like.
- If you do not want to use the default generated password, you can enter your own. You will also need to enter the password a second time, in the “Repeat” field below.
- You can use the “Quality” field to see how strong your password is. If you want to learn more about how to create stronger passwords, you can explore Password Policies and why they are important. You should also learn how to create an unbreakable password that you won’t forget.
- You can change the way KeePass generates passwords. Click on the Key button to open a list of options. Here you can generate various Hex keys of different bit lengths.
- Click on Open Password Generator from the dropdown. In a new window, you can select different characters that you want included in your generated password.
- Once you have completed all fields, click Ok on the entry. Your password entry will appear on the right panel of the window. Ensure you save your database to keep the record before you close the KeePass app.
How to Add Groups in KeyPass and Nest Password Entries
You can group different types of password entries together. For example, you could store passwords for work, leisure, finance, or social media under different groups.
- Right-click on the left-hand panel of the KeePass window.
- Click on Add Group.
- Enter a name for the new group, and click Ok.
- Click and drag the entry for your work email into the new Work group.
How to Copy Your Username and Password and Log Into a Website
To copy and paste your username and password into a website, use the Ctrl+B, Ctrl+C, and Ctrl+P keyboard shortcuts.
- Highlight the password entry that you would like to use.
- Use the Ctrl+B keyboard shortcut to copy the value of the username.
- Use Ctrl+P to paste your username into the username field of the website’s login page.
- With the password entry still highlighted, use the Ctrl+C keyboard shortcut to copy the value of the password.
- Use Ctrl+P to paste your password into the password field of the website’s login page.
How to Use the Auto-Fill Feature to Log Into a Website Using KeyPass
You can also use the autofill feature to enter your username and password information in a login page of a website. This will only work on login pages that have both username and password fields.
- Open the login page of the website.
- Place your cursor in the username field.
- Highlight the password entry inside KeePass that you would like to use.
- Use the Ctrl+V keyboard shortcut. This will autofill the username and password fields on the login page.
Storing Passwords Using KeyPass
KeePass is a tool that allows you to store passwords and group them. You can also use it to generate new strong passwords. You can add new groups in the left-hand panel of the KeePass window, and add new password entries on the right-hand panel.
If you are currently looking for the right password manager, KeePass is a great choice, but there’s no harm in comparing the different options. You can explore LastPass and 1Password password managers as well.