How to Change Your Instagram Explore Page
Have you ever browsed through your Instagram Explore page and wondered why the content is not relevant to your interests? Instagram is a great platform to get exposed to new content that compliments your interests.
But sometimes, you might come across posts that you do not like. Alternatively, your interests could change.
Instagram has options that allow you to change what you see on Instagram. This way, you don’t have to scroll through multiple posts that you are not interested in.
Here’s how you can change your Instagram Explore page.
How Does Instagram Choose Content for Your Explore Page?
Your Instagram Explore page helps you find new content through selected posts. These posts are based on the people you follow and the content you engage in.
On your Instagram “for you” page, you will notice that when you select a recommended post, at the bottom of that specific post, Instagram tells you why that post is on your Explore page. The posts on your Explore page could be influenced by any of the following factors:
- Posts you saved.
- Photos you liked.
- Posts recommended by Instagram.
- Accounts you follow.
- Content similar to posts you have interacted with.
- Videos you have watched.
If your Instagram does not reflect your interests, and you are not fully pleased with what you see, there are ways to clean up your Instagram.
How to Change Your Explore Page On Instagram
The best way to change the content on your Explore page is to change your behavior on Instagram. If you follow a lot of beauty influencers, for example, you will most likely see a lot of beauty content.
Since Instagram does not have a reset option that instantly changes your Explore page, there are a few things you can do to influence what you see on this part of the app. We’ve listed some of these below.
1. Clear Your Search History
Clearing your search history is a pretty straightforward process. All you need to do is follow the steps below.
- Sign into Instagram.
- Tap on your profile icon in the bottom right-hand corner.
- Click on the hamburger menu icon (three-line icon) in the top right.
- Click on Your activity.
- Select Recent searches.
- Here, you will see your recent searches. Tap on Clear All to clear your recent search history.
2. Manually Change Settings on Your Explore Page
You can manually change your Explore page by individually removing posts you do not like. By individually selecting these, you are allowing Instagram to change the algorithm—since it now knows the content that is unwanted on your page.
Here’s how to manually change settings on your Explore page:
- Go to your Explore page in the Instagram app.
- Select the Instagram post that you don’t like.
- Once the post you do not like is open, click on the three-dot menu icon of that post.
- Select the Not Interested option. The post will then be removed from the feed.
Besides these tips, you might want to start thinking about who to unfollow on Instagram if you’re seeing a lot of uninteresting content.
3. Clear Your Instagram Cache
When you browse through Instagram and visit various profiles frequently, Instagram stores that data, making it easier to reload familiar content the next time you visit those pages. Clearing your cache allows you to remove your search history or any other temporary data.
The process of clearing your cache data is different depending on whether you’re using an iPhone or Android. To clear your Instagram cache on iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Go to General.
- Select iPhone Storage.
- Scroll down and open Instagram.
- Look for the option to Clear app cache on next launch.
- If the option to clear the cache is not available, tap on Delete App. This will uninstall the app as it’s the only way to clear your Instagram cache. You can still reinstall the app once you’re done.
To clear cache on your Android, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Open Apps & Notifications.
- Select the Instagram app.
- Tap on Storage.
- Select Clear Cache to delete all cached data.
Clearing your cache removed pre-loaded files from your app. If you remove both your cached data and app data, you can also potentially flush out app and browsing cookies too.
Control What You See On Instagram
Your experience on Instagram is mainly influenced by who you follow. Even though some posts are suggested by Instagram, the content you see is mainly influenced by your engagement.
You can control what you see on Instagram by interacting with new content. To do this, you have to be mindful of who you follow, like and engage with. And thanks to the tips you’ve picked up in this article, you should be able to do just that.