9 New Linux Distros to Try Out in 2022
As an open-source operating system, Linux continues to rule the market, even in 2022. The highly malleable Linux kernel has come a long way, evolving into many avatars and spawning different desktops suitable for numerous use cases.
As is custom, a slew of new Linux distributions has become available to believers looking for high-tech computing on low-end hardware. Each distro comes with its unique USP, which makes it stand out amongst its competitors.
Without further ado, here are the top most-anticipated Linux distros within the open-source software community, which are worth a mention.
EndeavourOS 22.6 is a rolling-release distro built on top of Arch Linux. There are multiple desktop variants available, including XFCE, Cinnamon, KDE Plasma, Budgie, and other flavors.
This Arch-based distro facilitates an easy user onboarding and learning curve, as the integrated Calamares installer virtually takes care of everything related to the OS’s installation.
EndeavorOS offers excellent community support, given its close resemblance to the Windows UI/UX; this factor is an inherent plus for those migrating to Linux from other OSes.
- Modular installation: You can install the core repositories for basic dependencies; however, you can avoid installing applications that qualify as bloatware
- AUR support and Pacman: Since it is an Arch-based distro, EndeavourOS gives you access to the AUR package repository. You can manage installed packages with Pacman.
KaOS 2022.06 is an open-source flagbearer of the KDE and Qt flavors. The new Linux distro’s compatibility with Arch Linux gives users a highly stable and user-friendly OS solution.
These enhanced features mean you can access a repository of the latest software packages with rolling updates.
- User friendly: The in-built Croeso welcome screen makes the distro customizable and user-friendly
- Create custom packages: You can create customized packages and distribute them with the makepkg utility
- GUI package manager: The native Octopi GUI package manager makes app management easy for novice users
Philip Müller created Manjaro’s newest Linux distro, the rolling release distribution, Ruah 21.3.0.
The release came right after the release of its predecessor Qonos. Some of its significant leg-ups include the final release of the Calamares 3.2 installer, LUKS partitions, and other notable refinements to ease the installation process.
Ruah supports KDE Plasma, XFCE, and GNOME desktops. You can install Manjaro Linux’s latest release on your PC or a virtual machine, depending on how you want to use it.
- Improved partition module: Calamares 3.2.59 improves partition module support for LUKS partitions
- Dark mode: GTK 4 for GNOME apps along with a system-wide dark mode
- Enhanced libraries: GTK 4 and libadwaita libraries enhance and provide next-generation app capabilities to GNOME users
- LTS support: The distro includes the latest LTS Linux kernel 5.15
Download: Manjaro Linux
Kaisen Linux 2.1 is one of the newest Linux OSes based on Debian’s distro for IT system testing, maintenance, and administration. The latest Debian-based distro ships with XFCE, GNOME, LXDE, and KDE desktop flavors.
Kaisen packs a veritable list of drivers and packages for USB boot repairs for BIOS/UEFI hardware.
- Extensive features: Kaisen is helpful for boot management, deep formatting, virtualization, automation, and other system administration needs
- Live system engagement: An additional feature includes a practical toram mode that lets you dump all your live systems into the RAM to keep your USB port unengaged
openSUSE 15.4 slipstreams with the latest versions of system software and third-party software packages for basic, personal, and professional computing.
It comes in two iterations:
- Tumbleweed: A rolling-release distro that offers live, fresh packages hot from the factory table
- Leap: A stable alternative that shares a code base with the SLE version of the OS
openSUSE offers a stable and development version, which comes equipped with the GNOME, XFCE, and KDE desktop options.
- Download speed: Rapidly downloadable 173MB online installer
- Server variety: You can use the OS as a text-only or an immutable server
- System support: The OS aptly supports a variety of AMD, UEFI ARM, PowerPC servers, and IBM systems
Linux Lite 6.0 LTS impresses users right out of the gate with its lightweight, Ubuntu-based foundation. It runs on Linux kernel 5.15 and ships with the XFCE 4.16 desktop.
While the latest release runs seamlessly on newer, modern machines, it caters well to older, resource-constrained systems as well. Hands down, it is one of the best Linux distros in 2022, given its highly customizable, GUI-based software packages, facilitating easy configurations.
- Multi-faceted theme: The new Materia theme welcomes Windows users, as it’s most frequently updated and offers a combination of light and dark themes to users
- System Monitoring Center: This uber essential tool shows system-related information pertaining to the CPU usage and RAM consumption, along with GPU and disk metrics
Download: Linux Lite
Alpine Linux 3.16.0 ships with the XFCE desktop environment and is ideal for network engineering. You can rely on it as an open-source solution for hard-coding routers, firewalls, VPNs, VoIP, and more.
It is handy for embedded systems engineering, given the wide variety of nifty tools and libraries. Alpine Linux is tailor-made for experienced users, given its series of hardware and software features.
- Embedded engineering tools: musl C library and base tools for embedded engineering
- Tools repository: BusyBox offers a sizable tool chest of security patching (PaX, SSP, etc.), network, and embedded systems configuring tools
- GitHub support: The OS is supported by a highly active GitHub community
Download: Alpine Linux
Fedora is one of the most versatile Linux distributions to date. It continues to spawn spins or variants for various use cases. If you seek an open-source OS solution for gaming, you can always expect Fedora to provide new releases with better hardware support and system architecture compatibility.
- Latest software repository: There is unrestricted access to Fedora’s up-to-date software repository for game download engines, drivers, etc.
- Dedicated gaming distro: A lack of adware and bloatware reserves resources for serious gaming, allowing users to enjoy uninterrupted gaming speeds
- Enhanced gaming drivers: Open-source NVIDIA compatibility allows users to download the latest GPU resources to enhance their gaming experience
Download: Fedora Games Spin
Ubuntu Touch is an open-source alternative to Android and iOS. Unlike other premium mobile OSes, you don’t need to jailbreak Ubuntu Touch to invoke the developer functions.
You can enjoy free and open-source GNU/Linux-based applications on your mobile. Imagine having the comfort of using your phone as a laptop, without incurring any additional hassles.
- Modernistic apps: Using Scopes as an alternative to apps is a novel method for modern web 2.0 and 3.0 content delivery to mobile systems
- Easy to customize: Highly customizable features that allow system-wide ad-blocking without root function tinkering
- High privacy levels: Ubuntu Touch is privacy-oriented and user-centric in terms of device and data management
- Community-wide support: The OS enjoys strong community support, as it is backed by millions of users, including the International Space Station
Download: Ubuntu Touch
Try Out These New Linux Distro Releases Today!
Linux distros continue to offer new varieties to the end-users at regular intervals. Every second month, there is a new release, which promises to be better than its predecessor.
Since variety is the spice of life, you can always expect to try out new flavors and different desktop variants with Linux. In short, there is a Linux distribution for every type of user out there.