Tiles are widget-like tools that make it easier to access important information on your Wear OS smartwatch. Here’s how you can set them up.
Customizing your Wear OS smartwatch is easy, but there are a few things you need to keep in mind in order to make the most of it. You can rely on a selection of apps, Tiles, and watch faces to personalize your experience.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of managing Tiles on your smartwatch. Let’s take a closer look at how this works.
What Are Tiles?
Tiles are useful and interactive widgets you can use to quickly access your favorite apps and features on your smartwatch—whether it’s news, fitness information, or simply phone notifications. To access Tiles, swipe left on your watch face. You can customize the order of your tiles by adjusting the options right from your smartwatch, or in the Wear OS mobile app.
If you have a smartwatch with Wear OS v2.40 and higher, you can go on to add more than five tiles. In the sections below, let’s take a closer look at how you can set up and use this feature.
How to Customize Tiles Using Your Smartwatch
You can personalize your smartwatch experience using Tiles as you like—use the feature to bring up a scheduled appointment, weather information, or music controls. We’ve used a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 for this guide. The process may vary slightly for other Wear OS devices. Let’s take a look at how to set it up:
- On your smartwatch device, you can view the active tiles by swiping left.
- To add a new Tile, keep swiping left till you reach the end of the tiles. Tap on the Add tiles (+) icon and select the tile you wish to add. An animation will appear, and the Tile will get added to the screen.
- To remove an active Tile, long-press the screen to enter into edit mode, and tap the red minus (–) sign on the top of the tile. Press the Home button on the top-right of your watch to exit the edit mode.
- To re-order tiles, long-press on a current tile. The edit mode will appear. Now, long-press the tile again and swipe up or down. Drag the Tile across to position them in your preferred order.
- Once done, press the Home button to exit the edit mode and go back to your device’s watch face.
How to Personalize Tiles Using the Wear OS App
You can also manage the feature in the Tiles section of the Wear OS companion app. However, for purposes of this guide, we’ve used a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 that is compatible with the Galaxy Wearable app.
- On your Samsung Galaxy device, open the Galaxy Wearable app.
- Tap the Tiles card/section. You can see a list of custom tiles that can be added to your smartwatch.
- Select the tile of your choice and tap the plus (+) icon on the right. Tap Save. The tile will get added to your watch.
- To remove a current tile, tap the red minus (–) sign on the top of the tile, and tap Save. This process may vary slightly while using the Wear OS app.
- To re-order tiles, long-press the tile you wish to re-arrange. Drag it left or right, and click Save.
- Once done, you can view the new Tiles on your smartwatch.
Tiles: Access Important Information Easily
If you find that your Wear OS smartwatch is a little too generic for your taste, you can add and customize new tiles. It’s pretty simple.
Smartwatches offer a ton of great features. With Tiles, you can create shortcuts to your frequently-used apps and features. They save you time and improve your smartwatch experience!