Tips on How to Create a Secure Password
Trying to create secure password can be a challenge. Even more so when it’s recommended you have a unique password for every account and website you visit. Many people settle for using the same password across multiple accounts but using the same password can put you at risk of exposing all of your personal information.
Every year, criminals find new and unique ways to gain access to hack your account and get a hold of your personal information. You need to know how to create strong passwords that will reduce your risk and protect you from becoming a victim of cybercrime. Following these tips, you can create a secure password to keep your information safe.
Tips For Creating a Secure Password
Many people store valuable information online. While it is easy to access and convenient, without a strong password, your information is at risk of being stolen by hackers. To keep your accounts and information safe, you need to know how to create a strong password. These tips will help you create a secure password.
- Use a Long Password – When you prioritize the length of the password, it is harder to guess. Passwords of at least 16 characters long reduce the risk of hackers gaining access to your account.
- Combine letters, numbers, and symbols – Your password should consist of letters, numbers, and special characters to increase the complexity of your password.
- Use Different Passwords – Using the same password for all your accounts increases your risk of hackers gaining access to all of your accounts through credential stuffing.
- Never Use Personal Information – Avoid using information such as birthdays, addresses, names, and phone numbers.
- Try Passphrases Over Passwords – It’s hard to remember a long password. Using a passphrase can be easier to remember while keeping your password complex.
The goal is to create a long, complex password that is easy for you to remember but hard to guess. There is a lot to remember when you create your passwords, and companies require you to change them quarterly or annually.
Additional Security Measures to Protect Yourself
Passwords are just one level of security to ensure your accounts are safe. Implementing multi-factor authentication and password management solutions can help provide additional layers of security that make it difficult for hackers to gain access.
Multi-factor authentication uses multiple ways to ensure an account is accessed by someone authorized. They will consist of using a password paired with additional authentication through your smartphone or email by sending a code for you to verify. It can also use biometrics such as a finger scan to confirm your identity. These factors make it difficult for anyone to gain access.
Password management tools can help you manage your passwords efficiently and easily. They use an encrypted database secured by a master password that allows you to store your passwords when you need access to additional accounts. These tools make it easier for you to create complex passwords without having to remember each individual one. Many of these password managers can create complex passwords for you to take the challenge of having to think of a new password every time you need to make an update.
4 Corner IT can help you implement all of the best technology solutions for your business. To learn more, contact us at 954.474.2204.