5 Ways to Compress a Video on Your iPhone
Your iPhone lets you record videos in amazing quality. However, the downside to this is that videos end up with enormous file sizes. Since most social media services restrict the file size for sharing, you’re probably wondering how to make your iPhone videos smaller.
One way to deal with this is by learning how to compress the videos on your iPhone. When you apply compression, the video quality mostly remains the same, but you get a much smaller file size than the original.
If you’re interested, here are all the best ways to compress a video on your iPhone.
1. Reduce the Video Size on Your iPhone Using Video Compress
The easiest way to make a video smaller on your iPhone is to use a third-party compression app. Video Compress is a free app on the App Store that allows you to compress your videos to make them smaller without affecting the quality.
You don’t need to configure any complex options for compression. Simply load your video in the app, and it’ll reduce the size for you.
Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install Video Compress on your iPhone if you haven’t already done that.
- Open the app and tap the cog icon in the top-right corner. Then select an output file format from the Export File Type. Your compressed video will save in this format.
- Head back to the main interface and tap the only icon on the screen.
- Grant the app permission to access all your videos and photos.
- Choose the video you want to compress from your gallery and tap the checkmark icon in the top right.
- You’ll see a slider that lets you adjust the compression level for your video. Drag this slider to see the resulting file size. When you are happy with the size, tap the icon in the top-right corner.
- Wait for the app to compress your video.
- The app will save the video automatically. On the next screen, once the compression is done, you can choose to delete the original video by tapping Delete Original.
2. Make a Video Smaller on Your iPhone Using Compress Videos & Resize Video
Another option to change the video quality on your iPhone is the Compress Videos & Resize Video app, which is free with a premium version available. This app reduces the size of your iPhone videos to a great extent, letting you share your videos anywhere from your iPhone where there are size limitations.
Here’s how to use this app to make your iPhone videos smaller:
- Launch Compress Videos & Resize Video and allow it to access your photos and videos.
- Tap Select Videos to Compress to add a video for compression.
- Select a video to compress and tap Next.
- On the resulting screen, specify a Frame Rate and Video Dimensions for your resulting video file. The smaller the numbers you choose here, the more you will shrink your video file.
- Then, tap the Compress button and wait while the app compresses your video.
- Once your video is compressed, you’ll see the old size as well as the new size of your video. To delete your original video, tap the Delete Original option. Otherwise, select Keep 1 original to keep both original and compressed videos on your phone.
Not all video formats are fully optimized for small file sizes. Since your iPhone focuses more on the quality rather than the size of your video files, it uses a format that allows for better quality but eats up more of your space.
Converting your iPhone video from the default format to another compressed format is another way to compress your videos. This shouldn’t have too much impact on the quality of your video, and your video file size will be many times smaller.
Media Converter, another free app with a premium version available, is one such app you can use to convert and compress your videos. Here’s how:
- Download and install Media Converter on your iPhone.
- Tap Add (+) at the top and select Import From Photo Library.
- Allow the app to access your gallery and tap the video you want to convert and compress.
- Tap Done and select the import video quality from the pop-up. Media Converter offers four quality options, low, medium, high, and lossless quality. Select High Quality, to avoid losing quality when compressing your video file.
- Once Media Converter finishes importing the video, tap the i icon adjacent to it and select Convert Video from the menu on your screen.
- In the compression screen, you can trim the video by using available editing tools. If you only want to compress the video, select your preferred format output and the compression ratio of choice.
- Tap the only icon in the top right to start video compression.
- Once the process is complete, you’ll see the converted file on the main interface.
4. Compress an iPhone Video Online
If you only have a few videos to compress, an online tool could be more convenient. You don’t have to install an app to use these tools, and these web apps work just as well as native iOS apps. Clideo is one such online tool that helps compress your iPhone videos on the web.
All you need to do is upload your video, let the tool convert it, and then download the resulting file to your local storage. Clideo also offers an option to save the resultant compressed video to your Google Drive or Dropbox account.
Keep in mind that this site will add its branding to your video (unless you subscribe to its paid plan). If you’re fine with that, here’s how to compress your iPhone videos using Clideo:
- Open Safari and go to the Clideo site.
- Tap Choose file and select Photo Library.
- Select the video to compress. It will upload to Clideo’s site.
- Wait for the tool to compress your video.
- When your video is compressed, tap Copy direct URL, open a new tab and enter the link. Once the link loads Safari will prompt you to download the file.
- Alternatively, you can choose to save your video in Google Drive or Dropbox which is great if you want to compress your video and share it via email.
5. Make Your iPhone Record Smaller Videos
You can actually configure what resolution your iPhone records videos in. The lower the resolution, the smaller your video file will be. If you are fine with compromising on the quality of your videos, you can get your iPhone to record smaller videos by default.
- Launch the Settings app and tap Camera.
- Tap Record Video.
- Choose an option that balances both the size and the quality of your videos. The lower the number, the smaller the file size.
Shrink Your iPhone Videos in a Few Taps
You don’t have to live with huge video files on your iPhone. As shown above, there are many ways to compress and reduce video file sizes on your iPhone. Use these tools to make your videos smaller, so they’re compatible with more file-sharing options and to save space on your device.